Writing a speech about yourself isn’t as easy at it sounds. Contrary to the common belief, writing about yourself requires a lot of objective insight on your life and that is easier said than done. If you have been told to write a speech about yourself, you should start preparing for it immediately because it will take you some time to write it. Some of the main points which need to be considered when writing an essay are: the audience, the theme and the time you have been given to deliver it.
Make sure you don’t extend the duration, as it may start to sound like you are giving a lecture instead of a speech. Also, it is unprofessional to go over the designated time. If you have already selected a subject area from 20 topics for a speech about you and your life and used a few of our facts from prominent figure speeches to get inspired, you must start writing your speech immediately.
Here are some tips you can use when writing your speech:
- What’s Your Speech About? Think about what your speech will be about? Will you be talking about a life lesson you received or something you did when you were younger? Though your speech can consist of little snippets from your life, you must always focus on delivering one message which impacts the audience. Determine the objective of your speech and start writing once you know what you want to accomplish.
- Collect the Data. Writing a speech is not about blurting out whatever comes to your mind. Instead, your speech must focus on particular instances that are relevant to the message you want to deliver. Though you will need to brainstorm, you should always stay on track and make sure that you are delivering an impactful speech.
- Know Your Audience. The attention of your audience must be your main concern when delivering a speech. This is why it is important that you know your audience, their interest and their likes or dislikes before you even begin preparing your speech. For instance, when Steve Jobs gave the commencement speech on the graduating ceremony of Stanford, he focused on telling the students that they shouldn’t be afraid to stand out or be different and always do what makes them happy. Knowing your audience will also help them identify with you and your message and thus, your speech will become a lot more influential.
- Know Your Parameters. Before you start writing your speech, you should enquire about the rules and regulations which need to be followed. Factors like time, location and type of audience are important parameters which will impact the speech. If your speech is not set according to the time frame, it will feel like it is being rushed into. Likewise, depending on the type of audience, you will need to be careful about the topics which you are discussing because some of them may not be appropriate.
- Create an Outline. Though the structure depends on you, it needs to be there. This will help you write the speech and deliver it as well. Start off with an introductory statement where you address the host and the venue, follow that with the body which contains the goal and lessons of your speech and finally end it with a firm conclusion which is powerful yet subtle.
- Deliver with Confidence. Do you know why people are so frightened of giving speeches and presentations? It’s not because they don’t have enough material to talk about but because they are afraid that they will lose confidence halfway through. Speaking from personal experience, it is easier to write a speech than to deliver it. However, if you think that you will be facing the same problem with your confidence, there is one tip you can use. Though it is recommended that you look into the eyes of your audience when speaking to them, you can always imitate this action by looking at their foreheads instead. Apart from being confident in your delivery, you should also emphasize on your vocal chords and make sure that your voice is crisp and clear.
We wish you the best of luck and hope that you’ve learned a thing or two from these tips. Otherwise, you can easily our speech writing service.